Alonso reveals plan for Palmer's return
New Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso has detailed how he plans to bring Cole Palmer back to his best after a season marred by injuries and a dip in fitness.
New Chelsea manager Xabi Alonso has detailed how he plans to bring Cole Palmer back to his best after a season marred by injuries and a dip in fitness.
Xabi Alonso, the new Chelsea manager, has outlined his plans to bring Cole Palmer back to top form, emphasizing that the 24-year-old's brilliance is fundamental to the team's success in the 2026/27 season. Palmer impressed in his first two seasons at Stamford Bridge, but in 2025/26 his performance level dropped due to a decline in fitness and injuries, which cost him his place in the England squad for the recent World Cup.
Goal.com reports that Alonso, after a full pre-season with Palmer, spoke about how to re-energize the young player ahead of the first Premier League match against Fulham on Monday. In an interview with the British Daily Mail, Alonso explained his approach.
"The first step must be entirely physical, because the player must feel fully recovered and be 100% ready to give his all on the pitch," said Alonso. He then expanded on the picture: "Once he achieves that readiness and high physical condition, the role of confidence comes in; he must feel the effectiveness of the system, enjoy his style of play, and understand his tactical responsibilities."
The Spanish tactician did not hide how important Palmer is to him. "Cole is truly an exceptional player, and if we want to build a great Chelsea, then we must see Cole at his best. That's why we are working on building a solid and stable tactical structure that guarantees the ball reaches him in the right places and at the right time, and then he will make the difference in performance," he said.
Palmer has previously spoken about being left out of the England squad for the World Cup, saying it gave him immense motivation to prove himself again. He also revealed that Alonso reached out to provide psychological support immediately after manager Thomas Tuchel left him off the list, which the player greatly appreciated.
About those initial conversations, Alonso said: "I told him that this season represents a key moment for everyone, and he can leave a big mark in this great year we are aiming for. But more importantly than that, I wanted him to feel confident and enjoy the football he plays, and it is the duty of all of us to help him achieve that."
Palmer has confirmed that he has fully recovered from his injuries. He admitted that last season he played several matches with groin pain and that "he shouldn't have played then." Now he says: "I feel in excellent shape now; the seven weeks of rest I had in the summer greatly contributed to restoring my health, and I am fully ready to start fresh."
Chelsea begin the 2026/27 season with an away match at Fulham on Monday, then host Luton Town in the second round of the League Cup on Thursday, and play Brighton in the Premier League on Sunday.