HR EN DE
NEWS SPORT BIZNIS SCENA LIFESTYLE TECH

FIFA confirms Lamour's departure

Kevin Lamour is no longer FIFA's chief operating officer after publicly challenging President Gianni Infantino and the failed FIFA Forward Enterprise project.

Foto: Wikipedia (Gianni Infantino)
Summary
  • FIFA confirmed on August 17, 2026, the departure of Kevin Lamour from his role as chief operating officer.
  • Lamour publicly criticized Infantino in late July over the failed FIFA Forward Enterprise project.
  • FIFA claims the parting was mutual, while Sky News reports that Lamour was dismissed.
  • Lamour spent two years at FIFA, having previously served as deputy general secretary of UEFA.

FIFA confirmed on Monday, August 17, 2026, that its working relationship with Kevin Lamour, the chief operating officer, has ended. The departure of one of the world football governing body's most senior officials came less than three weeks after Lamour publicly criticized President Gianni Infantino over the controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE) project.

A FIFA spokesperson said: "FIFA can confirm that the employment relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour, as FIFA's Chief Operating Officer, ended on 17 August 2026. FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him all the best in his future endeavors."

FIFA claims mutual parting, Sky News reports dismissal

Secretary General Mattias Grafström informed staff via email, and wrote to vice-presidents and members of the FIFA Council that FIFA and Lamour had agreed to a mutual termination of their collaboration following discussions. The decision, he stated, was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Lamour on both a personal and professional level.

"I want to express my gratitude to Kevin for his contribution, as well as for the work and dedication he showed daily on behalf of FIFA. I wish him all the best in the future," Grafström said.

However, Sky News reports that Lamour was actually dismissed, a claim FIFA declined to confirm. Sources disagree on the nature of the departure: according to Tportal, it was a mutual agreement, while Sky News claims he was fired.

A "one-man project" and open criticism of Infantino

Lamour joined FIFA in November 2024, having previously served as deputy general secretary of UEFA. In the organization's hierarchy, he was two levels below Infantino. In late July 2026, in an interview with the Associated Press, he criticized the FIFA president over the FFE project, which proposed allowing private investors to purchase stakes in commercial rights to the World Cup. The plan was abandoned after strong backlash.

Lamour described the project as a "one-man project" and directly questioned Infantino's leadership style. "The president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today we are witnessing the opposite," Lamour said.

Aware of the potential consequences, he added: "If that means I lose my job, so be it. I will understand and respect such a decision. At least I will sleep peacefully tonight."

Meeting in Morocco without Lamour

According to BBC Sport, Lamour was not invited to a meeting of senior FIFA officials in Morocco, where Infantino received support from top executives. This development further fueled speculation about Lamour's position following his public clash with the organization's president.

FIFA, the International Federation of Association Football, has not yet announced who will take over Lamour's operational responsibilities.

FAQ
Why did Kevin Lamour leave FIFA? +
Lamour publicly criticized President Gianni Infantino over the FIFA Forward Enterprise project, and less than three weeks later, FIFA confirmed the end of his employment.
Was Lamour dismissed or did he leave voluntarily? +
FIFA claims it was a mutual agreement, while Sky News reports that Lamour was dismissed. Sources disagree on the nature of the departure.
What was the FIFA Forward Enterprise project? +
It was a proposal that would allow private investors to purchase stakes in commercial rights to the World Cup. The project was abandoned after strong backlash.
Who will take over Lamour's duties at FIFA? +
FIFA has not yet announced who will take over his previous operational responsibilities.

Log in

You need to log in or register to comment.

Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first!
Search
Popular
Login
Home
Make 5MIN.hr a preferred source
Follow us on social media
Categories