Iran Threatens: The Strait of Hormuz Remains Ours
After Trump's statement that he would declare the strategic strait U.S. territory, Iran's leadership responded with sharp threats and announced the continuation of the blockade.
After Trump's statement that he would declare the strategic strait U.S. territory, Iran's leadership responded with sharp threats and announced the continuation of the blockade.
Iran's military leadership on Sunday, August 16, 2026, sharply rejected U.S. President Donald Trump's statement that he intends to declare the Strait of Hormuz U.S. territory. The Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces, Major General Amir Hatami, said that Trump had "made a serious mistake" and that "Iran's defenders are ready to crush anyone who approaches."
In a speech on Long Island, New York, on Friday, August 14, 2026, Trump stated: "After we defeat Iran, which is very badly defeated, I will very quickly declare the Strait of Hormuz to be U.S. territory." He added that the blockade was already in place: "In essence, that's it. We have a blockade. No ship passes unless we want it to."
Hatami characterized Trump's statement as "the wrong kind of joke," as reported by Al Mayadeen English. "The criminal president of the United States says, 'I want to declare the Strait of Hormuz part of criminal territory.' Of course, after they realized what a huge mistake they had made, they said they were joking. Even joking about it is a huge mistake. This is Iran, and it has defenders who will break your leg," Hatami said, as reported by Clash Report.
Hatami also announced concrete measures. According to him, Iran has "practically begun implementing its decision to expel American forces," and that U.S. forces will no longer be "allowed to enter the Gulf, the Sea of Oman, or the Strait of Hormuz." "Everyone must understand that American bases can under no circumstances return to their previous status. Iran will not allow this," he warned.
As part of the escalation in rhetoric, Hatami also announced a cash reward of $30,000 for "anyone who kills, captures, or hands over an American soldier committing aggression." This move further raises tensions in a region crucial to global energy flows.
Meanwhile, Iran announced that it had reached an agreement with Oman on a map of maritime routes for the Strait of Hormuz after three weeks of technical negotiations. Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei stated: "Despite American obstructions, talks have progressed positively over the past three weeks, and an agreement has been reached on the map of maritime routes." He added that negotiations continue on remaining issues, including a joint statement by Tehran and Muscat.
Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi dismissed Trump's claims as "delusions." "The Strait of Hormuz was Iranian, is Iranian, and will remain Iranian. This strait will only be closed and opened under Iranian command," he wrote on platform X. He added that Washington "does not accept the reality of defeat" and must stop its "delusions."
Some Republican hawks, according to ZeroHedge, are calling for more decisive military action, including seizing Iran's Kharg Island, to show that Tehran has no advantage ahead of the U.S. elections in November. However, nearly six months of war have so far shown that each new escalation does not work in Washington's favor, while Iran responds in kind.