Meta in Court: Instagram and Facebook Could Be About to Change
A trial starting Tuesday before a federal judge in California could force Meta to remove likes, infinite scrolling, and other key features for young users.
A trial starting Tuesday before a federal judge in California could force Meta to remove likes, infinite scrolling, and other key features for young users.
Meta is facing a trial that could fundamentally change the way millions of people, including those in Croatia, use Instagram and Facebook. The proceedings, which begin tomorrow, Tuesday, stem from a lawsuit filed in 2023 by 30 U.S. states, including California and New York, and are being overseen by Chief U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers.
The states allege that Meta violated federal and state child privacy laws and are seeking damages that, according to the portal koja.hr, exceed 860 billion euros. BBC News reports a figure of over a trillion dollars, likely due to currency differences and rounding. However, money is not the only thing being sought.
The plaintiffs are demanding a series of concrete changes to both platforms. These include removing the display of like counts, eliminating infinite scrolling, introducing parental verification for teens, and altering content recommendation algorithms. They also seek the removal of numerous filters that alter physical appearance, a ban on autoplaying videos, a ban on multiple user accounts, and the elimination of disappearing posts like Instagram Stories.
The states argue that these features are designed to keep users, including children and teens, on the platforms for as long and as often as possible. The lawsuit also claims that Meta makes it harder for young people to use the apps less frequently by sending frequent notifications that encourage them to return.
Meta has submitted over two million documents in the case, and its market value is estimated at around $1.5 trillion. The company rejects all allegations. "We strongly disagree with these claims and are confident that the evidence will show our longstanding commitment to supporting young people," a company spokesperson said. In a statement to BBC News, the spokesperson said: "We strongly disagree with these allegations and are confident the evidence will show our longstanding commitment to supporting young people."
The trial comes after Judge Bryan Biedscheid in New Mexico recently fined Meta $942 million and ordered changes similar to those now sought by other states. He ordered the removal of like counters for users under 18, a ban on sending and receiving nudity via the platforms, and restricting notifications to certain times of day. Meta has announced it will appeal that ruling.
Judge Biedscheid declared Meta a "public nuisance" and compared it to a factory that pollutes the air and harms the entire population. Although his decision applies only to New Mexico, if the 30-state lawsuit succeeds, Meta will almost certainly have to implement changes across the entire U.S. These states account for nearly two-thirds of the country's total population.
The proceedings also reference the case of a young woman named Kaley, who earlier this year won a lawsuit against Meta. During her testimony, she described how, at age nine, she created dozens of YouTube and Instagram accounts to like her own posts, hoping to validate her self-worth. Later, at age ten, she was diagnosed with depression.
Judge Gonzalez Rogers, who also presided over the high-profile trial of Elon Musk v. Sam Altman, will now decide on the requests of the 30 states. If she rules against Meta, the changes could become a reality for users worldwide, including Croatian users of Instagram and Facebook.