Trial Begins for Tupac Shakur Murder: Accused Former Gang Leader
In Las Vegas on Monday, the trial begins for Duane 'Keffe D' Davis, a former street gang leader accused of orchestrating the attack that fatally wounded the legendary rapper in 1996.
In Las Vegas on Monday, the trial begins for Duane 'Keffe D' Davis, a former street gang leader accused of orchestrating the attack that fatally wounded the legendary rapper in 1996.
Nearly 30 years after the killing of one of the most influential rappers in history, the trial of Duane 'Keffe D' Davis, a former street gang leader accused by prosecutors of orchestrating the attack that fatally wounded Tupac Shakur in 1996, begins Monday in Las Vegas, as reported by N1 BiH.
Davis (63) faces a charge of murder with a deadly weapon before the court in Clark County, Nevada. He has pleaded not guilty. The trial before Judge Carli Kierny is expected to last up to six weeks, and the jury was selected last week.
Shakur, who was 25 at the time and already one of hip-hop's biggest stars, was shot on September 7, 1996, near the Las Vegas Strip. Earlier that day, he had attended a heavyweight championship boxing event where Mike Tyson fought Bruce Seldon.
Investigators reported that after the match at the MGM Grand, a brawl broke out between Shakur and his entourage and Davis's nephew. Police linked the incident to tensions between two Los Angeles gangs: the South Side Compton Crips, which Davis led, and the Mob Piru, which were associated with Marion 'Suge' Knight and Death Row Records.
Authorities have called Davis the 'shot caller,' meaning he was the main decision-maker in a hastily organized plan for revenge over the attack on his nephew. According to the indictment, Davis obtained a gun and gave it to one of two men sitting in the back of a white Cadillac. The group then set out to find the car carrying Shakur and Knight.
When they caught up, shots were fired from the Cadillac. Shakur was hit four times and died six days later in the hospital from his injuries. Knight, who was driving, suffered a minor head injury from bullet fragments.
The murder of Tupac Shakur was for decades one of the most famous unsolved cases in hip-hop history. Police said after Davis's arrest in 2023 that he had long been a suspect, but there had not been enough evidence for an indictment before.
The turning point, according to investigators, was when Davis began publicly discussing his role in the events of 1996. In interviews from 2018 and in his 2019 book 'Compton Street Legend,' Davis said he was sitting in the front passenger seat and handed a weapon to one of the men in the back.
Neither Davis nor investigators have identified who actually fired at Shakur. The other three men in the Cadillac have since died. Under Nevada law, Davis can be convicted of murder even if he did not personally pull the trigger, provided prosecutors prove he participated in the crime.
The trial could also feature testimony from Suge Knight, co-founder of Death Row Records, who was in the car with Shakur at the time of the shooting. Knight is currently serving a 28-year sentence for a separate manslaughter case. According to Reuters, he could testify, although he has previously stated he does not want to be part of the proceedings.
Shakur's murder further marked a period of intense rivalry between the hip-hop scenes of the American East and West Coasts during the golden age of so-called 'gangsta rap.' Just six months after Shakur's death, Christopher Wallace, better known as The Notorious B.I.G., who was part of Bad Boy Entertainment in New York, was killed in Los Angeles. That murder also remains unsolved.
In his book, Davis wrote that he had long been a suspect in the murders of both Shakur and Wallace. Davis is the only person charged in Tupac's murder, and this trial will for the first time bring criminal responsibility before a jury for one of the most famous unsolved killings in American music history.