HR EN DE
NEWS SPORT BIZNIS SCENA LIFESTYLE TECH

Pogba Leaves Monaco After Just One Season

AS Monaco and the French midfielder have mutually terminated a contract that was set to run until June 2027, with Pogba now linked to American clubs D.C. United and Inter Miami.

Foto: Wikipedia (Paul Pogba)
Summary
  • Paul Pogba and AS Monaco mutually terminated his contract on August 19, 2026.
  • Pogba played only six matches and a total of 115 minutes in Ligue 1 last season.
  • According to BBC Sport, American MLS clubs D.C. United and Inter Miami are interested in Pogba.
  • Pogba is currently recovering from a thigh injury, which could delay a new transfer.

AS Monaco and Paul Pogba announced on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, the mutual termination of his contract. The French midfielder, a 2018 World Cup winner, joined the club last summer, but the partnership ended after just one season. The contract was originally set to run until June 2027, according to France Info.

In a joint statement, the club said that the goals set when Pogba arrived were only partially achieved. Monaco's executive director, Thiago Scuro, admitted that the final outcome was not what they had hoped for, although the midfielder's return to professional football generated great excitement.

Limited playing time and injuries marked the spell in the Principality

The 33-year-old Pogba made only six appearances in Ligue 1 last season, coming off the bench in five of those matches. His only start came in Metz, and he spent just 115 minutes on the pitch in total, according to France Info. His playing time was further limited by injuries, including a hamstring injury sustained during Monaco's pre-season camp in England.

According to BBC Football, Pogba is currently recovering from a thigh injury, having recently returned from a knee problem. As a result, any potential move to a new club could be delayed until the extent of his recovery is determined.

Return after doping suspension

Pogba joined Monaco after being allowed to return to professional football in March 2025. While a Juventus player, he received a four-year ban for doping, but the Court of Arbitration for Sport reduced the penalty to 18 months. He terminated his contract with Juventus in December 2024.

Monaco had described his signing as a bold and ambitious challenge, but the plan did not unfold as expected. The club did, however, highlight Pogba's "exceptional spirit, determination, and demanding nature at all times," as stated in the release carried by France Info.

In the same statement, Monaco emphasized that even while injured, Pogba had a positive impact on the squad, sharing his experience and knowledge with other players.

MLS clubs monitoring the situation

According to BBC Sport, Pogba has attracted interest from clubs in Major League Soccer. He has previously been linked with D.C. United and Inter Miami, but there is no confirmation of a concrete deal as of yet. A move to the United States could offer him a fresh start and a more prominent role within a team.

In a farewell message, Pogba thanked the president, the management, his teammates, the entire coaching staff, and all the fans who believed in him. "AS Monaco is an exceptional club, and although I didn't play as many matches as I had hoped, I will always be grateful for the opportunity to wear its colors. Daghe Munegu!" Pogba said, as reported by Channel News Asia.

Throughout his career, Pogba made 233 appearances across two spells at Manchester United, was named Serie A Player of the Year at Juventus, and won four Italian league titles. He earned 91 caps for the French national team and was a key player in their 2018 World Cup triumph. United re-signed him from Juventus in 2016 for a then-record fee of €106 million.

Beyond his sporting struggles, Pogba has also faced difficult personal circumstances in recent years. In 2022, it was revealed that he was the victim of an organized extortion plot involving members of his family and childhood friends. At one point, he publicly spoke about his battle with depression, stating: "I'm done, I'm dead, Paul Pogba no longer exists."

FAQ
Why did Paul Pogba leave Monaco? +
Pogba and Monaco mutually terminated his contract because the goals set upon his arrival were not fully achieved, and the midfielder played only six matches last season.
How long was Pogba's doping suspension? +
He initially received a four-year ban while at Juventus, but the Court of Arbitration for Sport reduced the penalty to 18 months, and he returned to the pitch in March 2025.
Which clubs are interested in Paul Pogba? +
According to BBC Sport, Pogba is linked with American MLS clubs D.C. United and Inter Miami, but no concrete agreement has been confirmed yet.
What is Pogba's current health situation? +
Pogba is currently recovering from a thigh injury, having recently returned from a knee problem, which could delay any potential transfer.

Log in

You need to log in or register to comment.

Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first!
Search
Popular
Login
Home
Make 5MIN.hr a preferred source
Follow us on social media
Categories