Who is the Polish woman arrested for the fires?
Four suspects in 10 arson cases in the Zadar area have been remanded in custody, and Croatian officials are announcing stricter penalties, with the possibility of a terrorism charge.
Four suspects in 10 arson cases in the Zadar area have been remanded in custody, and Croatian officials are announcing stricter penalties, with the possibility of a terrorism charge.
The four suspects in the deliberate setting of 10 fires in the wider Zadar area were brought before the investigating judge in white disposable coveralls, as their clothing had been seized as evidence for forensic analysis. Among them are three Croatian citizens of Serbian nationality from the Benkovac area and one Polish woman, all of whom were ordered to be held in custody for one month on Monday, August 17, 2026.
Investigating judge Hrvoje Visković of the Zadar County Court confirmed that there is sufficient grounds for suspicion to warrant pretrial detention. "They actively defended themselves and presented their defense. There is a partial confession regarding some of the acts of the criminal offense they are charged with," Visković said.
The suspects are charged with a crime against public safety, but Visković emphasized that this is only the initial classification. "The investigation will determine what conclusions are reached. There is a possibility of reclassification depending on what is uncovered," the judge added.
According to suspicions, the four, acting on a premeditated plan and in mutual agreement, deliberately set fires on August 14 and 15 that caused extensive material damage in Zemunik Donji, Galovac, Biljane Donje, Zapužane, Benkovac, and Škabrnja, as well as in the Zadar residential neighborhood of Bili brig.
Zadar police spokesperson Ivana Grbin reported that searches of the suspects' homes, premises, and vehicles led to the discovery and seizure of a pistol from a 46-year-old and a semi-automatic rifle with ammunition from a 42-year-old.
The public has wondered how the Polish woman became involved in the case. According to unofficial information, she is the girlfriend of one of the three other suspects.
Possible classifications of the offense range from endangering life and property by a dangerous act or means to terrorism. Chief State Attorney Ivan Turudić stated that the possibility of terrorism has not been ruled out and that it will be determined whether the perpetrators acted with such motives.
Defense Minister Ivan Anušić believes that existing penalties are insufficient and should be maximally increased. "This borders on serious criminal offenses, perhaps even terrorism," Anušić emphasized, adding that it warrants the harshest possible punishment.
Justice Minister Damir Habijan announced an increase in penalties. Current penalties for endangering life and property range from six months to five years, while for offenses related to endangering public safety, the prescribed penalties are 1 to 10 years, and 3 to 15 years if they result in deaths. "We are considering increasing the penalties to at least 5 years, as well as the possibility of life imprisonment," Habijan said.
Pretrial detention was ordered due to the risk of reoffending and influencing witnesses, and for one suspect, who also holds Serbian citizenship, due to the risk of flight.