Žarko won't be picking his olives this year
The fire that ravaged Omiš and its surroundings on the night of August 13-14 left behind scorched olive groves, apiaries, and homes, and residents now face a long road to compensation.
The fire that ravaged Omiš and its surroundings on the night of August 13-14 left behind scorched olive groves, apiaries, and homes, and residents now face a long road to compensation.
The catastrophic fire that swept through Omiš and its surroundings on the night of August 13-14, 2026, has been extinguished, but the full extent of the damage is only now coming to light. Homes, olive groves, apiaries, and years of hard work have been destroyed, leaving residents to grapple with severe consequences and an uncertain future.
Žarko Kovačić, owner of a family farm in Omiš, watched in pain as the fire consumed his olive trees. "I watched it burn. It's not the first time," he said through tears. The fire engulfed half a hectare of his olive grove, and of the expected minimum of two tons of olives this year, there will be nowhere near that amount.
"This year we were supposed to harvest at least two tons. If we find anything on the 14 or 15 olive trees that are left, if we get 200 kilos, that would be great," Kovačić said. His estimate, based on his experience working at the Ministry of Agriculture, points to around 20 family farms affected, five hectares of land, and about 30,000 vines.
Ante Kalajžić from Dubrava lost 150 olive trees. "Everything burned. This is a tragedy. I have no words; only tears can justify this," he said through sobs. According to his estimate, it will take three or four years for his olive trees to recover. "Whether I'll live to see it, who knows," he added bitterly.
Aleksandar Zelić, a beekeeper from Dubrava, lost more than 24 bee colonies. "We could feel the exact moment when it started burning here. When I asked my wife how she felt, she said empty. And I truly felt empty," he recounted. He and his wife spent their retirement days at the apiary, and now, as he says, nothing is left because even the ashes were blown away by the bura wind.
The Red Cross kept reception centers open until Saturday, but by Sunday the situation had eased somewhat. "The reception center is closed; everyone has returned to their homes and apartments. We deliver everything they need, so there is no need for donations," said Tomislav Gojo, director of the Split Red Cross.
Ivan Pivčević, deputy mayor of Omiš, announced that after the government's decision on aid, they will begin assessing the damage and compensation. "Based on last year's example, it should be up to 80 percent, which is a high percentage. But it's a big process, and given this year, I believe the assessment itself will take at least two months," he explained.
While the damage will be tallied over months, recovery will take years. Residents like Ante Alaburić from Lokva Rogoznica, who lost his car, part of his tavern, and his olive trees, are trying to keep their spirits up. "I crack a joke or two, but it adds up... It's old stuff... It'll pass," he said through tears.