HR EN DE
NEWS SPORT BIZNIS SCENA LIFESTYLE TECH

Sainz Signs New Williams Contract and Stays in Formula 1

The Spaniard has resolved all doubts about his future, and the legendary British team now has a confirmed driver lineup for its milestone 50th season in the World Championship.

Foto: Telegram
Summary
  • Carlos Sainz signed a new multi-year contract with Williams on August 19, 2026.
  • The driver lineup for Williams' milestone 50th season is now confirmed: Sainz and Albon.
  • Sainz is only the third driver in F1 history to have driven for McLaren, Ferrari, and Williams.
  • Williams is currently ninth in the constructors' standings with 11 points; Sainz has six, Albon five.

Carlos Sainz has signed a new multi-year contract with Williams, bringing an end to a weeks-long saga about his future in Formula 1. The news was announced on August 19, 2026, confirming that the Spaniard will continue racing for the British team from Grove, as reported by TV Automagazin.

Driver Lineup for the Milestone Season

Atlassian Williams F1 Team now has a locked-in driver lineup for its 50th season in the World Championship. A few days ago, the team announced the signing of a new contract with Alex Albon, and yesterday it was confirmed that he will also stay with Williams for 2027. Now, Sainz has followed suit, putting an end to all rumors about the dissolution of one of the strongest driver pairings on the grid.

Together, Albon and Sainz have over 370 races, more than 1600 points, and 31 podiums. Their experience will be crucial for a team currently sitting in ninth place in the constructors' standings with a modest 11 points.

A Tough Season for Sainz

Sainz has scored six points this season, while his teammate Albon has one less. These results represent a significant step back compared to last season, when Williams finished fifth in the constructors' championship and the Spaniard was ninth among drivers, managing to stand on the podium twice.

As a result, rumors emerged about a possible departure for Sainz, with Audi mentioned as one of the options for his career continuation. However, the Spaniard ultimately decided to remain loyal to Williams.

Statements from Key Figures

Team principal James Vowles is delighted that Sainz is staying. "From the moment he joined us, Carlos's talent behind the wheel and his dedication in the factory have been immensely valuable to this project, working day in and day out with his engineers to find every millisecond. He is a leader of this team, and I am thrilled to see what is possible as we continue to rebuild," Vowles said.

He added that it's not just his racing skill and speed that stand out, but also the work he puts in behind the scenes. "Carlos shares the belief and ambition we have in the Atlassian Williams F1 team and pushes every day to make it happen. Together with Alex, I truly believe we have one of the strongest driver lineups on the grid."

Sainz is equally enthusiastic. "I am thrilled to announce the continuation of my journey with the Atlassian Williams F1 family! I genuinely believe in the people who make up this team, both in the factory and at the tracks, and in the investment and hard work happening behind the scenes. We have everything we need to turn this situation around together," the Spaniard said.

Key Contract Details and Context

According to available information, Sainz previously drove for Ferrari before joining Williams, and after losing his seat at the Italian team to Lewis Hamilton, he chose Williams over Sauber/Audi and Alpine. In his time with Williams so far, he has achieved two podiums in races and one in a sprint, which was a significant contribution to the team's progress.

Although this season has been tough due to production delays and an overweight car, Sainz remains confident in the project led by James Vowles. His new contract includes flexibility regarding future decisions, and according to Spanish sources, his annual salary will be between 25 and 30 million euros, placing him among the highest-paid drivers in Formula 1.

Third Driver in History with This Triple

Sainz began his F1 career in 2015 as a Toro Rosso driver. In late 2017, he joined Renault but stayed there for just over twelve months. After that, he spent two seasons at McLaren, four at Ferrari with four victories, and now he is in his second year with Williams.

Interestingly, Sainz is only the third driver in F1 history to have raced for McLaren, Ferrari, and Williams. The first two were Alain Prost and Nigel Mansell, which speaks volumes about his status in the world of motorsport.

FAQ
How long is Carlos Sainz's new contract with Williams? +
The exact duration of the contract has not been disclosed; it is only known to be a multi-year deal.
Who will be Williams' driver lineup in 2027? +
The driver lineup will remain unchanged: Carlos Sainz and Alex Albon, who confirmed his stay with Williams for 2027 yesterday.
Did Sainz consider a move to Audi? +
According to TV Automagazin, Audi was mentioned as one of the options for Sainz's career, but the Spaniard ultimately chose to stay with Williams.
What are Carlos Sainz's career numbers? +
Sainz entered F1 in 2015 with Toro Rosso, then drove for Renault, McLaren, and Ferrari, where he scored four wins. He is now in his second season with Williams.

Log in

You need to log in or register to comment.

Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first!
Search
Popular
Login
Home
Make 5MIN.hr a preferred source
Follow us on social media
Categories