Trump Leaves Door Open for Iran: 'Maybe at Some Point'
The U.S. president claims America has full control over the Strait of Hormuz but has not announced a specific date for resuming talks with Tehran.
The U.S. president claims America has full control over the Strait of Hormuz but has not announced a specific date for resuming talks with Tehran.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that the United States has "total control" over the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial maritime passage for global oil trade, and left the door open to further talks with Iran, though without a specific timeline.
When asked by reporters about the possibility of resuming discussions with Tehran, Trump briefly said: "Maybe at some point." He described the current situation as "very good," as reported by N1 Serbia and Kurir.rs.
Trump reiterated that Iran must not possess nuclear weapons, arguing that it could otherwise use them. He stressed that Tehran would have to completely abandon its nuclear arsenal.
At the same time, he noted that U.S. forces occasionally face issues due to Iran shooting down drones in the Strait of Hormuz area.
Negotiations between Washington and Tehran to end hostilities were suspended after a memorandum of understanding collapsed in June 2026. The two sides blame each other for failing to honor commitments and for reigniting the conflict.
Since then, diplomatic efforts have not led to an agreement on reopening the Strait of Hormuz or to a resumption of talks on a broader deal.
Additionally, Trump said the U.S. could impose new sanctions on Iran and that the Strait of Hormuz would become less important due to the construction of oil pipelines. On the other hand, Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf warned that Iran must always be prepared for conflict, otherwise any contact or dialogue with the United States would be futile. Chief of Staff of the Iranian Armed Forces Ali Abdollahi stated that Tehran is closely monitoring the deployment of U.S. forces in Gulf states and would consider any assistance to the U.S. military as an act of aggression against Iran. The governor of Iran's central bank, Abdolnaser Hemmati, said Iran has almost completely halted oil exports to foreign markets.