HR EN DE
NEWS SPORT BIZNIS SCENA LIFESTYLE TECH

Firefighters from Sisak Area Help Extinguish Fire on Dugi Otok

Firefighters from the 6th shift of the Sisak-Moslavina County Fire Association spent the entire night extinguishing a brush and maquis fire in the Savar area. The fire was contained on August 16 at 8:00 AM, but the operation is still ongoing.

Foto: Wikipedia (Dugi otok)
Summary
  • The fire on Dugi Otok broke out on August 14, 2026, at 8:20 PM in the Savar area.
  • It was contained on August 16 at 8:00 AM, but the operation is still ongoing.
  • Locals said they feared becoming the 'new Omiš'.
  • Firefighters from the Sisak-Moslavina County and aerial forces participated in extinguishing the fire.

A day after the fire on Dugi Otok, which at one point spread uncontrollably, was extinguished, locals told net.hr that the night and morning behind them were filled with fear. "We could have been the new Omiš," they said, referring to the devastating fire that had previously hit the Omiš area.

Report on Friday evening

According to the report from the Sisak Public Fire Brigade (JVP Sisak), as carried by Sisak.info, the report of a brush and maquis fire in the Savar area was received on Friday, August 14, 2026, at 8:20 PM. Numerous firefighting forces from Dugi Otok and the mainland were immediately dispatched to the scene.

Among them were members of the 6th shift of the regular detachment of the Sisak-Moslavina County Fire Association, who had arrived on Dugi Otok just a few hours earlier. They included Tomislav Jalžečić and Dario Jelaš from the Sisak Public Fire Brigade, Antonio Dolenc from the Petrinja Public Fire Brigade, Marko Martinović from the Bolnica Popovača Volunteer Fire Department, and Anita Govorčinović from the Selište Kostajničko Volunteer Fire Department.

All night at the fire scene

The firefighters spent the entire night at the fire scene. After hours of battling the flames and taking a short break by the fire trucks, they continued their efforts throughout the day. By Sunday, August 16, 2026, at 8:00 AM, the fire was under control, meaning its spread had been halted and there were no visible flames.

However, the work was not done for the firefighters. In the afternoon, it was necessary to deploy aerial firefighting assets again, including a Canadair and an Air Tractor, while ground crews continued working in the affected area. According to the latest information, the operation is still ongoing.

Pride in colleagues

From the Sisak Public Fire Brigade, they particularly highlighted Tomislav Jalžečić and Dario Jelaš, who, along with colleagues from other firefighting units and associations, practically immediately after arriving on Dugi Otok went into action and remained at the fire scene throughout the night and day.

"That's firefighting. That's unity. That's a job that doesn't ask what time it is," they said from the Sisak Public Fire Brigade, wishing all firefighters and aerial crew members a safe continuation of their work and a return to base after a successfully completed mission.

FAQ
When did the fire on Dugi Otok break out? +
The report of a brush and maquis fire in the Savar area was received on Friday, August 14, 2026, at 8:20 PM.
When was the fire contained? +
The fire was contained on Saturday, August 16, 2026, at 8:00 AM, but the operation is still ongoing due to the need for additional aerial firefighting assets.
Who participated in extinguishing the fire? +
Numerous firefighting forces from Dugi Otok and the mainland participated, including the 6th shift of the Sisak-Moslavina County Fire Association and aerial forces with a Canadair and an Air Tractor.
Why did the locals mention Omiš? +
The locals feared that the fire on Dugi Otok could escalate like the devastating fire that had previously hit the Omiš area.

Log in

You need to log in or register to comment.

Comments (0)
No comments yet. Be the first!
Search
Popular
Login
Home
Make 5MIN.hr a preferred source
Follow us on social media
Categories